Austin Ten gearbox tooling

This forum is for non members to ask questions to the ATDC Members. Members should use the private forums for any and all Member to Member conversations.
topcat

Austin Ten gearbox tooling

Post by topcat » Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:29 pm

Having dismantled the gearbox on my 1935 Colwyn, to investigate instances of incorrect gear selection, a hollow mandrel is now required to carefully refit both bearings to avoid 'tipping' them. (According to an Austin Service Journal article, dated June 1937 Austin Tool No CX500-13 is required to effect this - unfortunately my local motor factors appears to be currently out of stock of this particular tool!!). Does any member possess this, or any such similar tool and if so, would they be willing to loan it to me? Please respond via this forum.

phil_taylor

Re: Austin Ten gearbox tooling

Post by phil_taylor » Sat Aug 08, 2020 4:11 pm

According to all repair manuals/ how to recondition gearboxes and clutch, you 'need' lots of special tools. I have never had or used any in doing about 6 gearboxes over many years. Hope you find a CX500-13. I have not seen one yet.

topcat

Post by topcat » Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:23 am

Hello Phil,

Many thanks for that useful advice. Wasn't convinced that the specified mandrel was absolutely essential but thought I'd cast a net anyway. One never knows, someone might have had one.
Will carry on regardless but might seek your advice later at some stage!

bob_allison

Post by bob_allison » Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:39 am

Unless splines are involved this may be a very simple tool to make on a lathe .

peter_winney

Post by peter_winney » Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:44 pm

Newnes Motor Manual suggests tapping the race right home using a piece of tubing as a drift.
Member since July 1972
Never too old to learn something new

bob_allison

Post by bob_allison » Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:57 pm

Fine , so long as the tubing is against the bearing ring which is making the fit .
A note for novices , Never EVER hit or force or tap a bearing so that the balls , or rollers , take the force . If the inside ring is what is making the fit , push on this , or on the outside if that is what is making the fit . Otherwise you will wreck the bearing . You might fancy that it is still working , but it won't last long .
For those who learnt this from their Granny , someone has to say these things .