Oil for rear axle?

This forum is for non members to ask questions to the ATDC Members. Members should use the private forums for any and all Member to Member conversations.
Marcel

Oil for rear axle?

Post by Marcel » Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:58 pm

After replacing the rear hub oil seals on my New Ascot, I want to change the oil. I've always used Morris's in the past but my local supplier has closed. There are suppliers who advertise classic 140 grade oil but apart from Silkolene, who make Rhino 140 ( with a mild EP spec) I've not heard of them. What do the experts at the ATDC use?

peter_winney

Re: Oil for rear axle?

Post by peter_winney » Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:44 pm

I use Castrol D140. It is obtainable from a number of classic oil suppliers but is not the cheapest 140 grade available. If you want to stick with what you are used to then Morris AG140 is widely available.

Silkolene is a new name to me. Thought it was a paint brand.
Member since July 1972

Rod

Post by Rod » Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:38 am

I'm no ATDC expert by any means, but I use Penrite Transoil T140 , this is labelled as safe for ferrous and non ferrous metals, also safe for leather seals.
And it comes in handy one litre packs.
I don't know what the situation is regarding Penrite in the UK, but the local stockist tells me the Seagull outboard guys use it in the bottom cases of their outboards so if you know any of them..?

peter_winney

Post by peter_winney » Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:32 pm

Penrite is a quality brand used widely in the trade I believe.
Member since July 1972

Rod

Post by Rod » Sun Jul 19, 2020 11:24 pm

Hi Peter, here [New Zealand] oddly enough I've mostly seen Penrite products sold at what you chaps in the UK call 'motor factors'- maybe because it seems to be pitched at the enthusiast/classic market, rather than trade for some reason. Trade seems to stick with BP/Castrol, maybe a bit of Duckhams. I agree though, it is a quality product.